Monday, March 1, 2010

Temptation

This past weekend was incredible, if you like winter and the outdoors it doesn’t get much better. A group of 10 spent the weekend in Willow Alaska snow-going in the great land and enjoying some cabin life.

The physical activity was great, the weather perfect, the gas tanks full and the Temptation of junk food was everywhere. Chips, pop, beer, sausage filled breakfast smothered in cheese, huge pizzas and deli sandwiches and everyone constantly offering me food and then going, “Opps I forgot, sorry” yeah sure.

The great news is that even with all this temptation around me, honestly I was not tempted, much. The plan that Alaska Premier Health has implemented for me is so complete and my desire to succeed is so strong that even the hosts world famous biscuits and Gravy couldn’t shake my drive to be Healthy.

Before the weekend I spent some time going over the meal plans, setting up a series of meal reminders on the iPhone and making sure that plenty of water and veggies were with on the trip. Some mindful forethought coupled with the will to succeed trumped any temptation put in my place.

Tonight I start working out at Body ReNew and Tomorrow is the big 2week weigh in, additionally a new video blog is almost complete. Look for a big week of blogs and information on my continued journey to health. Thanks for your comments and questions and feel free to keep sending them my way.

7 comments:

  1. I love B&G that would be a hard one for me to turn down! :) But I also love veggies :0

    ReplyDelete
  2. and that is something I will talk about. Why did I used to pick the bad stuff, to excess, and not the good stuff like Veggies. When I eat Veggies, they are so good, really, so whats up with that? glad I choose the Veggies now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brad,

    I keep thinking that quite a bit of it has to do with this notion of making everything very convenient.
    Buying vegetables and making a meal - even a simple one - is defintely more work than throwing a corn dog into the microwave. Plus it does require deliberation to go to the right places in the first place.
    IMHO it also explains why weight problems - although not only a reality in the US - are more extremely pronounced in the country of convenience.

    And then there are the portion sizes. I have been to so many restaurants where I am thinking: "even as a fully grown men of 6'2" I can't possibly finish the plate they just put in front of me..."

    Nothing earth shattering here, but those two factors clearly play a role - and last, one has to be receptive to it, which might be buried in ones pre-disposition or psychological profile at the time the eating disorder ensues.

    Stay on course - you can already feel it is the right thing and the sense of accomplishment will only grow when you start tossing out some of the clothes that no longer fit!

    Cut (weight) hard! :-)
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY Brad! You go girl! Ahem. Sorry. I totally agree with Richard *waves* that convenience is why we so often make bad choices. Good for you for planning ahead and staying strong. Each day is another accomplishment! I'm anxious to hear how the workout went - how awesome to have a trainer! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm SO PROUD of you!! That had to be TOUGH to be around all that food and you didn't indulge. I KNOW how much will power that took but I KNOW how good you feel about yourself for "passing the test" Stay strong and keep telling us what's happening!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you fully admit you were "not tempted, much"! We are all tempted. Trust me. It's just a matter of being mentally strong and making the right choices instead of indulging and giving in! And I totally agree with Richard and that crazy lady that portion sizes and convenience are crazy in this country. Plus I just read an article that even foods in the grocery stores and restaurants designed to be "low cal" are actually underreporting calorie counts - grocery items on an average of 8% and restaurants on an average of 18%!!! AND - the FDA, who regulates the frozen grocery foods - say an "acceptable underestimation" of calories is 20%!!! And the restaurants aren't regulated by the FDA. Crazy, huh? Makes you think twice about eating out...

    I'll send you the article if you want. =) Keep strong! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great thread, keep it coming everyone. Yes portions are served to big, calories to high, wow the mis-reporting 20%?? Are you kidding me?

    the key is personal responsibility. I did this, I gained the weight, I ate the food, I didn't do the exercise. The buck stops here and I am now fixing old errors.

    The future for me is about being responsible for what I do to and put into my body, my temple. The thing is I love Veggies when I eat them, they taste good. The problem is Veggies lack a comprehensive Marketing and Promotional team to spread the word.

    How many people would eat Doritos if they were not heavily advertised? Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete