Friday, September 6, 2013

Hardcore Math. 

1+1 = 2

true or false? If I eat one serving of food that has X calories in it, isn't the second serving free of calories? I should only have to count a serving once right? I mean, we are just sitting here eating a great meal together, what does serving size have to do with weight control?

Math.

It doesn't lie, it just counts. We can  complain, whine, be mad, feel any emotion that we want, yet truth is truth and calories count no matter what we think or feel.

How often do we really look at the calories of something, or measure out the serving to be the amount on the box? Serving sizes are not a suggestion, they are a tool of measurement. I can, and did, get into the habit of eating beyond the serving size and rationalize it by saying "well its really healthy food so its ok to eat this much" all the while knowing this was not true. Guess what, its not true. Over eating is over eating. Great so it wasn't cheeseburgers; trust me the fat that gets gained isn't concerned where it came from or how it got there, it just is.

Food is fuel, you'll likely hear me say that often in this blog. In reality, my job does not require a large amount of physical fuel. Sitting and editing movies or mixing audio is mentally tiring, yet it burns very few calories and requires dedication to not moving much while working.

Therefore my first ally in getting back on track is Math.

Counting each calories, keeping a record of what I am eating and how much I am moving and making sure that there is more output than input. Burn more fuel than I consume. Math, as my friend Ali would say "It's so easy" he is right, this math is simple, calorie in, calorie out.

Today there are more tools available than ever to help any of us manage our health. The key with these tools is that we have to use them. Bummer, right? Effort? Actually I am excited by work, I enjoy doing, so I found a tool that helps me count calories, tracks how many are burned and compares the data for me daily. It's called Caloriecount.com I'm not endorsing them, just sharing my experience so that anyone else can do the same thing.

Math, its our best friend in weight loss, track those calories, loss the weight.
Grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Another great app is MyFitnessPal. You can track your food and exercise and you can also connect with other people for support. Great message Brad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Nancy, there are so many great tools out there. The only excuse is our own for not being Ready. And that is a key part, knowing that we are Ready to change.

    ReplyDelete